So you try to check or track your airtag, and found out that it didn’t get updated, and looking for how to refresh airtag location.
Well I’ve got to explain all you need to know when it comes to using the Apple airtag and having the AirTag getting updated.
But bear in mind that one of the issues I do have with the Apple airtag is for the tracking device to frequently update it’s location.
How to refresh airtag location
Kindly note that you cannot refresh airtag location manually, except the AirTag update it’s location on it’s own.
This may be quite annoying but that’s the reality.
There’s no way you can update apple airtag location except if the AirTag update on it’s own. For me, it can be very much annoying especially when I check to see that it has been over an hour since the AirTag updated it’s location.
Here’s what you should know;
1. Apple airtag location cannot be manually updated
As go by the topic of the post, how to refresh airtag location. Please kindly note that there’s no way you can manually update the AirTag location except it update on it’s own.
Even if you have checked and noticed that it’s been quite a while since the AirTag updated it’s location, there’s absolutely nothing you can do other than to wait and see if it will update to it’s current location.
- Are airtags allowed in checked luggage? Explained
- Can more than one person track an airtag? Answered
2. Frequently update when in motion
I noticed that Apple airtags frequently update it’s location when in motion compared to when it is not moving.
Maybe, this is because when the AirTag is moving, it is likely to come close to an iphone which will help the AirTag update to it’s current location.
If an airtag isn’t updating it’s location, then it is likely that the AirTag is at one place and not moving, and there’s no iphone that has come close to the AirTag.
As we all know that for an airtag to get updated, it must come in contact with an iPhone.
Once an airtag comes close to an iphone, it helps the airtag to update to it’s current location. And then I noticed that when it said coming close to an iphone, it is from iphone 11 series and above.
I also noticed that if an airtag comes close to an iphone xs max, xs, xr and below, it doesn’t update it’s current location.
So you should bear this in mind.
- How accurate is airtag location? Everything explained
- Do apple airtags work internationally? Explained
Now in a situation where there are very few iphone users especially from the iphone 11 series and above, you will find it very difficult receiving frequent updates from your airtag.
Please bear in mind that when asking how to refresh airtag location, it simply means when you’re tracking the AirTag location using the map on Find My.
If the AirTag is nearby, I recommend you to use the Find Nearby option to locate the AirTag.
The Find Nearby is only available when the AirTag is within bluetooth proximity, and which is usually 30 to 40 feet away from you.
So whenever you’re trying to understand how to refresh apple airtag location, kindly note that you cannot refresh apple airtag manually, it does refresh on it’s own.
Why is my AirTag not updating location?
This is usually caused when the AirTag has not come in contact or come close to any nearby iphone.
However, in some cases I noticed that Apple airtag takes quite a while to update to it’s current location compared to the likes of samsung smart tag or tile tracking device.
Like I said, if the Apple airtag is in motion, it tends to frequently update it’s location compared to when it is not moving. Also, if the AirTag come close to an iphone from 11 series and above, it will update to it’s current location.
So if you’re having the problem of your airtag not updating it’s location, it is majorly causes by the AirTag not coming in contact or close to any iphone.
As the rule goes, for an airtag to update to it’s current location, it must come close to an iphone else it won’t update to it’s current location.
Does AirTag only show current location?
AirTag shows both the current location and the last seen location.
If the AirTag is frequently updating it’s location, it will show it’s current location, but if the AirTag is not frequently updating it’s location, it will display the last seen location.
Right there you will the hours or minutes of the last location update.
How to track airtag movement
To track airtag movement, you simply have to open Find My on your iPhone, navigate to Items, and tap on the AirTag.
Using the map on Find My, you will be able to track your airtag movement.
Now listen, this very option works on older iphone version, on ipad or even on MacBook. As long as you have Find My on your apple device, you can be able to track the Apple airtag movement on the map.
For me I prefer to use my ipad as ithe display is a lot better compared to a tiny screen of the iphone. So this is all I have to explain on today’s question of the day, how to refresh airtag location on iphone, ipad or find my.
To wrap up today’s question of the day, here’s the full list of the reasons why your airtag is not updating;
- No Nearby Apple Devices: AirTags rely on the presence of nearby Apple devices with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities to relay their location information to Apple’s Find My network. If there are no Apple devices in the vicinity or the AirTag is located in an area with limited connectivity, it may struggle to update its location.
- Limited Connectivity: If the AirTag is in an area with poor cellular coverage or weak Wi-Fi signals, it may not be able to transmit its location data to the Find My network. The ability to update location is highly dependent on the availability and strength of network connections.
- Dead Battery: If the AirTag’s battery is depleted, it won’t be able to communicate its location to the Find My network. Apple typically sends low-battery notifications to your connected Apple devices when an AirTag’s battery is running low.
- Out of Range of Paired Device: AirTags need to be within Bluetooth range of an Apple device that is paired with your iCloud account to update their location. If the AirTag is out of range of your paired device for an extended period, it won’t update its location until it comes back into range.
- Find My is Disabled: If apple Find My feature is disabled on the paired device or the AirTag itself, the location updates will not work correctly.
- Software Issues: Occasionally, software bugs or glitches may impact the AirTag’s ability to update its location correctly. Keeping your Apple devices and AirTag firmware up to date can help resolve such issues.
And with this I come to the conclusion of today’s question of the day, how to refresh apple airtag location on iphone, ipad or Macbook.