Facetime is one of the best means of making a video call and audio call as long as you have iphone, ipad or Mac computer.
As a newbie, one of the questions being asked about facetime is the cost of using facetime, or does facetime use credit especially when it comes to making a facetime audio call.
This i will explain to you about Facetime, how it works and if you require to pay to use a facetime.
Understanding facetime and how it works
FaceTime is a video and audio calling app that allows users to connect with friends and family on Apple devices using the internet. It was introduced by Apple in 2010 and has since become a popular way for iOS and Mac users to communicate with each other.
However, since the release of ios 15 update, you can now facetime to someone using an android device or even on windows computer by simply creating a facetime link which is mostly available on US and international version of the iPhone.
To use facetime on your iPhone or any other Apple device that supports facetime, you must have facetime enabled and active on your device.
By default, facetime is automatically enabled on iphone but you can check to confirm.
All you need to do is to;
- Open the settings app and scroll down to facetime.
- Tap to open facetime option and right there you will see facetime which should be green in color.
Once the facetime icon is green in color, it simply means that facetime is enabled on your iPhone as shown below.
Now the next thing to look out for is facetime being activated on your phone.
So immediately after the facetime green button, you will see where it states You Can Be Facetime At.
Below it will show your apple ID and phone number (if you have a sim card or eSim in your iPhone).
You will also see Caller ID which will also display your apple ID and phone number as well.
Below is a typical example of what I’m talking about.
Once your facetime shows the above options, then it simply means that facetime has activated on your device.
Remember, you don’t manually activate facetime on your phone, but rather make sure it is enabled, and as long as you have an active internet connection like Wi-Fi or cellular data, it will automatically activate on it owns using your Apple ID and phone number.
In a situation whereby you don’t have a sim card or eSim in your phone, facetime will get activated with just your apple ID.
So the option you will see will only be your apple ID for incoming facetime call and caller ID for outgoing facetime call.
Here’s how FaceTime works on iPhone, iPad, and Mac:
iPhone and iPad:
- To use FaceTime on an iPhone or iPad, the device must be running iOS 7 or later.
- FaceTime uses the front-facing camera on the device to capture the user’s image and microphone to capture their voice.
- When the user initiates a FaceTime call, the app sends a request to the recipient’s device. If the recipient accepts the call, the devices establish a connection and the video call begins.
- Users can switch between the front and rear cameras during the call, as well as turn the camera off entirely to make it a voice call.
- FaceTime also allows users to add filters and effects to their video, as well as blur their background during a call.
- To end a call, users simply tap the red “End” button on the screen.
- To use FaceTime on a Mac, the device must be running macOS 10.9 or later.
- FaceTime on Mac works similarly to the iPhone and iPad versions, but users can use either the front-facing or rear-facing camera on their Mac, as well as any external camera connected to the computer.
- Like on iOS, users can add filters and effects to their video and blur their background during a call.
- Mac users can also make FaceTime audio calls to other Apple devices, even if the recipient doesn’t have a Mac.
Connectivity and Security:
- FaceTime uses the internet to establish a connection between devices, so a stable internet connection is required for it to work properly.
- Facetime calls are encrypted end-to-end, which means that the data sent between devices is scrambled and can only be read by the sender and the recipient. This makes FaceTime calls more secure than traditional phone calls, which can be intercepted by third parties.
- FaceTime can work over Wi-Fi or cellular data, but data charges may apply if using cellular data.
Now let’s go back to the question of the day, does facetime use credit or probably internet like Wi-Fi or cellular data as I have explained above.
Does facetime use credit?
The answer is no. Facetime don’t use credit as it is a voip services that only requires internet connection to make and receive facetime calls.
You don’t need to have a good credit to be able to use FaceTime on your iPhone, ipad or Mac computer.
As long as you have an active internet connection like Wi-Fi or cellular data, and facetime is enabled and active on your device, you can make and receive calls using facetime.
When you’re talking about facetime, you talk about data or internet like Wi-Fi or cellular data and not credit.
You don’t have to pay a dime to your network or Apple before you can use facetime, that is not the case.
FaceTime is free to use even if you want to make an international call using facetime, it is 100%to free especially if you have a free Wi-Fi connection.
Just like whatsapp, Facebook messenger, Viber, etc, you can use facetime to call someone living abroad and you won’t be charged except for the data incurred.
Kindly know that faceTime is a simple and intuitive video and audio calling app that is built into iOS and macOS.
It allows users to connect with friends and family on Apple devices, and offers a range of features such as filters and effects to enhance the user’s experience.
FaceTime calls are also encrypted end-to-end, making them more secure than traditional phone calls.
Not only that, facetime is very economical compared to traditional phone calls especially when using Wi-Fi. You can send large videos, pictures, documents and other files to someone abroad using facetime.
This is not possible if you are using the normal sms text message, even the mms messaging can’t be able to send such files especially large pictures and videos.
And the best part is that facetime is free to use both locally and internationally.
- How to make videos louder while on facetime on iphone
- How many times does facetime ring on do not disturb
Does FaceTime cost money without Wi-Fi?
FaceTime won’t cost money without Wi-Fi, though the person must subscribe to a data plan in order to use cellular data for FaceTime calls.
WiFi makes facetime to be 100% free especially free Wi-Fi, but in some cases you may not necessarily have a Wi-Fi connection around you.
The only option you have is to use cellular data.
Now when you talk about using cellular data, it means that you must subscribe or buy a data plan from your network or internet service provider.
But the truth is that you’re not buying the data plan for FaceTime, but rather for your phone or device internet activity.
In order words facetime is still free because you’re not paying apple or your network to use FaceTime.
Does FaceTime use data if not on Wi-Fi?
Once there’s no active Wi-Fi, facetime will use active cellular data as it requires internet connection to work.
If you don’t have an active Wi-Fi or cellular data, then facetime will not work on your device.
When you talk about facetime, bear in mind that internet is very compulsory else you should make use of the traditional phone call.
And this is where I come to the conclusion on today’s question of the day, does facetime use credit. Once again, facetime don’t use credit but rather it uses internet.