As apple airtags has been very essential and useful since it’s release in 2021, there are tons of questions people ask when it comes to using the Apple airtag.
And one of the question is why does my airtag beep when i pick it up. It can be quite confusing when your apple airtag start beeping randomly for no just cause.
In this article, I will explain the reason why your airtag is beeping and whether it is an issue or probably built that way.
Why does my airtag beep when i pick it up?
This usually occur if the Apple airtag has been far away from the linked phone for a long period of time.
In the type of scenario, the AirTag beeping signifies that the AirTag has established a connection with the linked device, probably an iPhone.
Since the recent update, if your phone linked to your airtag stay away from the AirTag for like more than 8 good hours, the AirTag will start beeping but not frequently.
Even if you don’t have your phone with you, the AirTag will still beep. If someone else picked up the AirTag, it will still beeped and this literally means the connected phone is no longer in touch with the AirTag especially for a long period of hours.
Aside from this, there are other reasons that will make your airtag to beep when you pick it up.
They are as follows;
- The AirTag software needs to be updated.
- A technical issue with the AirTag.
- Not in connection with the linked phone or apple ID.
- Airtag did not transfer to new phone: Here’s what to do
- How to share airtag location with family members (A How-to Guide)
1. The AirTag software needs to be updated
Is quite unfortunate that there are some users that don’t know that you can update the AirTag software.
Yes you can update the AirTag software or firmware through Find My app.
However, if there’s a need or a new update for your apple airtag, it will automatically do that in the background but you need to have your iPhone right beside the AirTag.
Now what you have to do is to know the latest airtag firmware version, and it is always updated on apple official website.
So you check on the website to know the latest airtag firmware version, and afterwards open Find My app on your iPhone, and navigate to Items.
Tap on your airtag and tap on the location below your airtag name as shown in the picture below.
Looking at the above picture it says with you because I’m with the AirTag, but in might show a location or the AirTag battery if your airtag battery has reduced.
So when you tap on the very place, it will display the AirTag firmware along with the serial number as shown below.
If you checked and noticed that your airtag firmware is outdated, simply update the firmware.
All you have to do is to make sure your iPhone connected to the AirTag has an active internet connection, then place the AirTag right beside your iPhone.
Just leave it like that and wait for few minutes, you will see that it will automatically update the AirTag firmware.
If it is not updating, turn off your phone and switch it back on. Then repeat the same process and it should update your airtag firmware.
So one of reasons for the question we have here, why does my airtag beep when i pick it up maybe be caused due to outdated airtag firmware.
2. A technical issue with the AirTag
Another reason you may be having the problem of airtag beeping when picked up maybe due to technical issue with the AirTag.
So what you have to do is to reset the AirTag and most times it help to fix the problem.
First I recommend you to remove your phone from the AirTag before resetting the AirTag.
To reset the airtag, you have to do the followings;
- Press down on the polished stainless steel battery cover of your AirTag.
- Rotate the AirTag counterclockwise until the cover stops rotating
- Remove the AirTag cover and the battery as well.
- Replace the battery or put the battery back into the AirTag.
- Press down on the battery until you hear a beep sound. The beep sound means that the AirTag battery is connected.
- When the sound finishes, you have to repeat this process for a good four times, so go ahead and remove and replacing the battery, then press down on the battery until you hear a sound. You should hear a sound each time you press on the battery, for a total of five sounds. The fifth sound is different from the previous four. This indicates that the AirTag is now ready to pair.
After the reset, you can pair the airtag to your phone once again.
3. Not in connection with the linked phone or apple ID
This is the most common reason for airtag beeping when picked up, it has not been in connection with the linked phone for over a period of 8 hours.
However, if this persist after a period of time then there must be an issue with your airtag.
I recommend you to impair or remove the AirTag from your phone, switch off your phone and pair the airtag to your phone.
Does low battery causes airtag beep when it is picked it up?
The answer is no. Apple airtag don’t beep when the battery is low but rather it will send you a notification on your screen about the low battery.
So far I’ve been using the Apple airtag for over a year, I only receive notification on my screen that my airtag battery is low and should be changed.
You don’t expect that why you’re having the problem of your airtag beeping randomly is due to low battery, that is no from my experience so far. And this is where I come to the conclusion in today’s question of the day, why does my airtag beep when i pick it up.